Monday, November 24, 2008

The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham

As a fan of the Shopaholic books, I was curious to try out The Gatecrasher by Madeleine Wickham, aka Sophie Kinsella. I was expecting the charm of Becky Bloomwood and all her British-ness so I was a little disappointed with the tone and language of this novel. Fleur, the protagonist in The Gatecrasher, crashes funerals to pick up wealthy widowers while their fresh and vulnerable. She woos them, takes their money, and drops them. However, when she meets Richard, she finds herself enjoying his company regardless of his money. This book was more adult contemporary than chick lit. I suppose Madeleine Wickham writes more like Danielle Steel or Jodi Picoult books than Sophie Kinsella. Perhaps I'll try another Wickham book one day, but for now I'll re-read my Kinsella books.

No comments: